Monday, November 21, 2016

Series: What It's Like to be a Debut Author

I've spent the past several months busy launching The Peculiar Miracles of Antoinette Martin, and as a result this poor blog has been neglected.  Now that things are slowing down, I can start writing here again. 

The past few months have been a whirlwind.  They've been full of ups and downs, and now that I'm not right in the middle of everything, I thought it might be fun to pull back the curtain and share what it's like to be a debut author. 

In a word: TERRIFYING! 

I know, you all were hoping for unicorns and lollipops, and while it is wonderful, it's also scary, disappointing, and surreal.  Sorry to burst the bubble, but I've always found reality much more helpful than the prettied up lives we all show on Facebook.  I feel normal when I see everyone else's mess, so I thought I'd share my own crazy in the hope that other writers going through the same thing will know that they're normal! 

So I decided that this week I'll do a series of posts (and maybe a video or two) about what it's like to be a debut author.  I'll cover book signings, newspaper interviews, TV interviews, Book Fairs, and anything else I can think of.  The posts will start on Tuesday and there will be one each day--including Thanksgiving (because becoming a published author is something I'm very thankful for.) 

If there's anything specific you'd like me to cover, please leave a comment below and I'll try to work it into one of the posts.  The more questions the better! 

 








4 comments:

  1. As much as I'm so longing for that day I can be a debut author--you know, all the champagne receptions, fawning lackeys to serve your every whim, that sort of thing...;)--what was the most surprising negative experience you had?
    And how did you deal with it?

    P.S. - Whoever was responsible for whatever it was, you didn't deserve it and I hate them...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, the champagne receptions are the best! And the lackeys...I don't know how I ever survived without them!

      As for negative experiences, I'm going to go more in depth into that subject tomorrow but since you're a friend, I'll give you a preview. ;-)

      The hardest thing to deal with so far has been driving hours to a book store for a signing only to have a handful of people show up. Or being at a book fair and not selling as many books as the people around you. When you're just starting out, it's rough and it's hard not to get disappointed.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I imagine that would take off some of the glow of being published. After I had that quick and easy bit of success with my four-part supernatural series, every rejection letter that followed was like an insult. "What do you mean you don't want it?! These other guys like me. What's wrong with you?" You know, that sort of reaction...;)

      I had to learn to accept the ups and downs of publishing just like the ups and downs of life. Yeah, that may be easy to understand intellectually. A bit harder, emotionally. But hell, 'Miracles' is published! And that is well deserved.

      Delete
    3. Yep. We writers have to grow a thick skin. I had hoped once I was published that part was over, but no such luck! Ah well, we persevere!

      Delete