Wednesday, November 4, 2015

November is National Adoption Month

Dear Christian Church,

Did you know that right now there are 153 million orphans in the world?  Every night 153 million children go to bed each night without a mother or father to tuck them in.  They are lonely and scared.  Often, they are hungry or sick.  Often they wonder whether anyone really cares about them.

There are 2.2 billion Christians in the world.  2.2 Billion.  If 1 out of every 14 Christians (that's only 7% of all Christians) adopted 1 child, every orphan would have a family.  

Church, are we doing our job?
All 8 of us in one picture!

Based on these numbers, the answer is no.

As Christians, we're called to a life of radical love.  A love that shows itself through its actions.  We are not called to a passive life.  A life where we sit in our warm, cozy houses, surrounded by more stuff than we'll ever need.  A life where we complain about the injustices and cruelties in the world, but we never do anything about them.

In Christianity, love is a verb.  It's not passive.  It requires action.  Think about Christ's life.  He didn't live a life of luxury.  His life was hard.  He went to places most of us wouldn't dream of going.  He reached out to people others ignored.  In fact, the entire purpose of his life was his death.  This is the life we are called to emulate.  

Adoption is back breaking, difficult work.  But real love is never easy.  It requires moving out of our comfort zone and dying to ourselves for someone else.  It involves changing our perspective.  It means when we see a need, we fill it.  Even when it's hard.  Even when we're scared. Even when it doesn't make financial sense.

Matthew 25:34-40 says:

 ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.  For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’
This is the life we are called to lead.  Feeding the hungry.  Clothing the destitute.  Caring for the sick.  Visiting the imprisoned.  Caring for the orphans.  
It is a life spent in service to "the least of these".  
Let's examine our lives.  Let's move out of our comfort zone.  Let's stop living as if love was a noun, and start living as if love is a verb.  Because that is the radical love that Christ has called us to.   





No comments:

Post a Comment