Thursday, April 10, 2014

Coming out of hibernation



Yesterday was the first day I felt like my head was above water--at least for part of the day.  It probably has something to do with Tuesday night being the first night I slept all the way through in over a month.  Mostly because for the past month I've always had a child sleeping with (or on--see above) me.  But Tuesday night I was child free.  I made it to 11am before sliding back into my now-typical sleep-deprived haze.

As of today, we've been home one week.  One loud, crazy, exhausting week.  The two new kids are learning what it's like to be part of a family.  The first four kids are on spring break.  Steve is back at work. And I'm exhausted.  I want to sleep all of the time.

In fact, I'm so tired, I just spent the last five minutes zoned out staring at the computer screen.

On Monday, Jonathan woke up with a tummy ache.  He has spina bifida and can't feel anything from the waist down.  Sometimes that results in bowel issues.  It was coming out of both ends all day Monday.

He has to make sure he has exactly the same amount of food, toys, whatever, that everyone else has.  If he doesn't, he sulks.  If we tell him to do something he doesn't want to do, he sulks.

Gabrielle screams each time it's bedtime or nap time.  She screams when I don't let her hit the dogs or pull the cats' tails.  She screams when I won't let her hit Jonathan.



Both kids are jealous of each other.  If I'm talking to one, the other starts up with, "Mama, mama, mama."

Neither one has any patience.  When they want something, they want it NOW.  If I'm not fast enough, they just get louder and louder.

They both have trouble being told "no".  That's when the real temper tantrums/sulking starts.

I've had a headache for five days straight, and my Crohn's symptoms are acting up.

Yet, so far, things are going well.  No one has tried to run away.  We are (basically) on U.S. time.  No one is on a hunger strike.  And most of the time everyone is happy.  Loud, but happy.  We are finding foods that everyone will eat. And yesterday, I got Jonathan and Gabrielle to sit down at the kitchen table and color some ESL (English as a Second Language) worksheets.

I've even found time to spend a little time working on Book Two.

Baby steps.

This is the reality of adoption.  We knew what we were getting into, but it's still rough.  The good thing is that this isn't new to us.  That makes a HUGE difference.  When things get rough, I tell myself to wait.  Time will smooth out the rough spots.  It takes about six months before you figure out what your new "normal" is. So right around Halloween things should settle down.

Seems fitting.







No comments:

Post a Comment