Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Foreign Rights

Yay!  I'm happy to announce that the foreign rights for Antoinette Martin have been sold in Italy, Germany, Holland, and Norway.  So now, not only will I have U.S. readers, but readers in other countries as well.  It's weird in an I Think I'll Go Hide My Head Under a Pillow Now.  *Grin*

Seriously, it is a bit surreal to open up your email and find that the rights have sold in another country because, I mean, let's face it.  I'm a mom in Kentucky.  Most of my days are filled with homework and diaper changes (true, the diaper changes are for my 9 year old--which is a bit different, but it's still Mom Stuff.)  So when I get something that tells me people in other countries are reading my work, and not just reading it, but wanting to pay me for it, my first thought is, Huh?  Are you sure you have the right person?

Because here's the thing about being a writer.  Your life doesn't change that much after getting a book deal.  My kids don't care that I Have Books to Write.  They want to eat.  Now.  They need to go to strings lessons, and acting lessons, and work.  Mom wrote a book? Cool.  Now, let's get on with life. 

The biggest change is that now I have to write Book Two.  This Freaked Me Out at first.  You mean I have to do it again? I thought.  Maybe I only have one book in me.  Maybe I'm like Lipps, Inc. and Antoinette Martin is my Funkytown. 

I now understand why George R.R. Martin takes so long to write one of his mammoth books.  It's seriously hard, people! (Side bar--I'm listening to his series on Audible, and Mr. Martin is my new hero.  Good grief the man is hard on his characters!  As a writer, I bow before his talent.  As a reader, I'm begging him--please stop killing off my favorite characters!)  Finishing a book is like finishing a marathon.  Except that the next day, you have to get up and start running (or writing) again. 

Luckily, I'm now well in to Book Two.  No, it's not a continuation of the first book.  It's all new.  And that is its own joy and heartache.  I'm having fun with it though.  Mostly, because I've transitioned from the worry of Can I do this again? to I can do this again.  I'm not sure when it happened.  Probably sometime between walking the kids up to the bus stop and washing the breakfast dishes.  But that's the thing about having kids.  They don't give you much time for anything else!


2 comments:

  1. stephanie, I don't know what rock I was hiding under but I only just found out your awesome news! so happy for you! you worked so hard for so long and I can't think of a nicer, sweeter person who deserves it more. massive hugs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex, you're a sweetheart! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete