Sunday, August 18, 2013

Introducing Percy!

Meet the newest member of the Knipper clan, Percy!


Percy is 3 or 4 years old.  We think he's a mix between a rat terrier and a cattle dog.  He's the sweetest thing ever!  He curls up next to me when I'm writing and just loves everyone.  Dogs, cats, people, it doesn't matter.  Percy loves them all.  He even walks on his hind legs.  It's the funniest thing. 

All of our dog's have literary names, and Percy is no exception.  He's named him after Mary Oliver's dog, Percy.  As you probably know, Mary Oliver is one of my favorite poets.  She wrote a series of poems about her little dog, Percy.  Below is one of my favorites.  Enjoy!


I Ask Percy How I Should Live My Life
Mary Oliver


Love, love, love, says Percy.
And hurry as fast as you can,
along the shining beach, or the rubble, or the dust.

Then go to sleep.
Give up your body heat, your beating heart.
Then trust.

2 comments:

  1. My initial guess for the inspiration for his name was Percy Shelley. Knowing you, Mary Oliver makes perfect sense. Beautiful dog and beautiful poem...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doug, you're spot on. Percy Shelley is the second reason for his name. ;-)

    ReplyDelete