Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Update & Big News! (Of the non-writing variety...)

Hello my bloggy friends!  Long time no write, so I figured it's about time for an update. 

First off, today my first child turns ten-years-old.  Wow.  I can't believe that ten years ago today, I was in ICU, on the verge of death and my son was in the NICU weighing only 2 pounds, 14 ounces.  For a while, it didn't look like either of us would see this day.  And yet here we both are.  Healthy and happy.  You can't ask for anything more!  (Except maybe a fancy ninja/wizard outfit.)



Writing:

I'm on another round of revisions.  Yes, it's been a long time, but the story gets tighter and better each time.  Lesson from this?  Revise, revise, revise.  Then go through and revise again.  I'm hoping to be finished with this draft in May.  After that, who knows?  Time to submit to publishers?  Hopefully.

But this is not my big news. 

THE BIG NEWS IS...

If I had a drum roll, this is where it would be, so you'll just have to imagine it.

WE ARE GOING BACK TO CHINA!  That's right, The Knippers are adopting again!  Some of you are saying, I already knew this.  It's not news to me. 

You're right.  But this probably is.  This time, we're adopting TWO kids!  A toddler girl and a six-year-old boy. 

So here's the story.  Back in July, we started thinking about adopting again.  We inquired about several kids, both internationally and through the US foster care system.  Most of the kids had already been matched with families.  Which I was thrilled about.  If you're involved at all with adoption, you celebrate Every Single Time a child finds his or her family.  Even if that family isn't yours. 

So we kept looking.  Early this year, the adoption agency we used for our previous adoptions received a file for a little girl from China.  Steve and I immediately fell in love with her.  We submitted our initial paperwork and received our PA (pre-approval) a few weeks ago. 

We were thrilled!  We went out and celebrated at our favorite Chinese restaurant, and that was that.  We got started on all of the paperwork, not planning at all on adopting two kids.  And then, I read this post: 

http://stirlinginc.blogspot.com/2012/10/my-week-with-sean.html

I was smitten.  I crossed my fingers and showed it to Steve.  To my surprise, he fell in love with this little guy too.  (But then again, who wouldn't?  He's such a cutie!)  We thought about it for a few days, and then we contacted our agency and asked if they could located his file on China's shared list.  For those of you who don't know, some children are assigned to certain agencies (as was the case with our newest daughter) and some are on the shared list, which any agency can access.  Anyway, they found his file.  We locked it.  Sent in our initial paperwork.  And yesterday we received our PA for him! 

So when we travel to China (hopefully in the fall) we'll bringing home a new daughter and a new son.  We couldn't be happier!

I'll post both writing and adoption updates as I get them. 



No comments:

Post a Comment