Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Sometimes it rains


My front yard this morning.

We're getting ready to have a thunder storm here, which figures because I just spent the morning watering my garden.  I even pulled out the big guns and dosed my hydrangeas, coneflowers, and 1/2 of my containers with liquid fertilizer.  I was feeling pretty good about myself until storm clouds rolled in as soon as I finished rolling up the hose. 

If I'm working by hand (not setting up sprinklers) it takes about an hour to water about 1/2 of my garden.  The last thing you want when you've just put down liquid fertilizer is for rain to come through and dilute it.  I looked up at the clouds and thought, All that work, down the drain. 

Then, because I'm weird this way, my thoughts turned to writing.  (Everything comes back to writing, doesn't it?) 

How many times have you looked at your writing and thought, All that work, down the drain.

When you've been rejected.

When you read over your day's writing and realize it's not just bad, it's really bad. 

When your computer crashes before you remember to back up your novel and you lose it all.

All that work, down the drain.

And yet...

With thunder comes lightning.  And what you might not know is that lightning fixes nitrogen in the soil.  I won't go into the entire chemical process, but I will say that nitrogen is an essential component of fertilizer--you know, the stuff that helps plants grow?  The stuff I was putting down by hand?  For plants to use nitrogen it must be "fixed" or combined with other elements and there are only a few ways in nature that nitrogen can be fixed.  Lightning is one of them. 

Have you ever wondered why the grass is so green after a thunder storm?  Nitrogen fixation brought about by lightning.  The grass is essentially getting a does of fertilizer. 

And so are you every time you face and overcome a writing obstacle.  You are growing.  Getting stronger.  Getting better.  When the rain stops, you will be bright and beautiful.  Just like the grass after a storm. 






2 comments:

  1. "And so are you every time you face and overcome a writing obstacle. You are growing. Getting stronger. Getting better. When the rain stops, you will be bright and beautiful. Just like the grass after a storm."

    Wonderful! So nice to read these words of inspiration. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete