Monday, April 30, 2012

Next Steps

On Thursday, I emailed my revised manuscript off to my agent and editor.  What happens now?  I wait for my editor's new comments.  When she sends those back, I'll go over the book again and make more changes.  I'm hoping that these will only be minor changes, but you never know.

In the meantime, I'll be catching up on things I've let slide over the past few months.  Gardening.  Cleaning.  Cooking...basically everything else in life. 

In addition, I'd like to have a contest.  One of the things I've learned as I've walked through this process is how wonderful the writing community is.  (Okay, I already knew that, but this process has just underscored that belief!)  You guys have been so great and supportive.  I want to give something back. 

Giving back is something I truly believe in.  When I was growing up, my mom called it "being nice".  Now, we say "giving back".  But it boils down to the same thing.  Reaching out and doing something for other people. 

I don't think we do enough of this. 

I would like to change that.  I'm still working out the details, but on Monday I'll announce the details of my Super Awesome Contest of Niceness. 

Until then, I leave you with a picture of my son holding this super cute puppy! (Isn't she adorable? She's not ours.  Have to work on the husband for that one!)


3 comments:

  1. Stephanie, I almost saw your cute puppy picture and raised you a cute bunny picture - but I didn't want to escalate the cuteness war!

    I think you are right. I'm one of the few women I know who always - from girlhood - wanted to find a nice man. Not 'nice' as code for 'boring' as my friends with the motorcycle riding boyfriends thought. Nice as in caring enough about you every day (not just on Valentine's day or other holidays) to consider your feelings. To be cognizant of others as separate people deserving the same courtesy and attention as themselves. That's another word that's devalued today, like courtesy and manners. Like those things are too 'twee' and 'old school' to have any real merit. I disagree. Those things aren't empty gestures, they are ways we deliver the message - I love you.
    OKAY! On to your niceness contest - looking forward to it. And I'll just drag away my soap box and go soak my dentures ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! A contest! That sound great.

    I agree, finding community in the writing world is so important. I find it amazing I've had such a hard time doing it. I guess I just expected there to be more small pockets of writers groups out there, but for the most part I've not been super lucky in finding them. I think Twitter really helped me the most.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex, oh I love bunny pictures! Start the cuteness war! Anyway, I totally agree with you about finding a "nice man". That's why I'm with my husband! Nice is totally underrated.

    Richard, I wonder if what you're experiencing is because a lot of writers are so introverted? I can only speak for myself here, but it's a real challenge for me to get out there and interact with people. Maybe other writer-types have the same issue? IDK? But I do agree with you about Twitter. It's been the most helpful to connect with other writers.

    ReplyDelete