Friday, March 23, 2012

Update



Yeah, if I wasn't wrapping up revisions on The Book, this would be my reason for exercising. 

Wow.  Last post was in February.  I'm hanging my head in shame.  And the truly horrible thing is, letting the blog slide is the least of the things I've let go.  If you've ever wondered what happens to a writer after they get revision notes back from their editor--this is it.  Everything except The Book falls away.  My garden is full of weeds (I duck every time I walk past), showering is now considered a luxury, and my husband has taken to calling me every day just to make sure I eat lunch. 

I am consumed.  The kids are calling me Wacky Mommy because I sit at the table in a daze, mentally rearranging plotlines instead of doing silly things like feeding them.  Like they really need to eat.  Come on. 

Anyway, the good news is the End Is In Sight!  I should be finished in the next three weeks.  The bad news is the kids' spring break falls right in the middle of my projected timeline so make that four weeks. 

Why has it taken so long?  Because I had to cut 1/3 of the novel.  Ouch.  It still hurts to say that.  But, it is so, so much better for it.  I think.  Maybe.  I hope.  Please God let it be better...
So what's the moral?  Things'll be spotty around here for a few more weeks, but then back to regular blogging!

Happy Hunger Games everyone!  May the odds be ever in your favor! 

6 comments:

  1. Still 3 weeks (or 4) is a great goal!!! Cutting 1\3rd of a novel, then weaving the information from that into back into the narrative, is hard. It's like a really advanced surgery! So I'm super impressed. I cannot wait to hear/read what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! You're always so kind! ((hugs)) to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG - that's hilarious. If I hadn't started running in January, I'd be the first to be culled, too. As it is, I'd probably end up like Foxface - lurking in the background before being done in by poisonous berries.
    That's so exciting that you're close to the end of revising! Congrats. Revising is HARDER than writing, much much harder. Especially as, before you query, you've already revised and rewritten your book to the place where you think it's perfect. But revision is like a crucible (ouch, hot) it refines your work to its elements. It will be beautiful.
    Throw peanut butter and apples at the kids. that's what I do ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kids don't need to eat. Who told you that?

    *grins*

    Good luck on your revisions. I hope it'll truly shine. Cutting away at your work like that (1/3 --wow!) is super hard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alex & E.B.,
    I know, who knew kids needed little things like food, shelter, warm clothes. I mean, come on, don't they know I have Words To Write?

    Thank you both so much for the encouragement! You're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! I'm glad I'm not the only #badmomwriter with MS tunnel vision. hahaha Hang in there and good luck. ; )

    ReplyDelete