Thursday, February 9, 2012

Where does inspriation come from?




As a writer, I'm always asked where I get my ideas.  The truth is, everywhere.  Everything I see, everything I feel is an inspiration.  I like to think there's a small but cluttered room in the back of my brain somewhere that stores all of these images.  When I sit down to write, I imagine walking into that room and looking through the shelves where I've stored beautiful images like the one above.  Isn't it gorgeous?  Wouldn't you love to sit at a table like this, birdcages hanging from the limbs of an old oak tree, and eat lunch on a nothing special day? 

This is how I write.  It's very organic.  Not linear at all.  I'm a little bit like the hoarders you see on TV, except instead of hoarding empty toilet paper rolls, I'm storing up beautiful and slightly whimsical pictures like this:




After I have my image, I normally smash it against an emotion that seems totally out of line with the picture.  For example, the I love the pink tree above and the quiet little bench below it.  The first feeling I get when I look at the picture is one of peace and contentment.  Of something magical.  But what if I push it further?  What if instead of peace, the feeling is anxiety?  What if the tree is changing colors because the person sitting on the bench (I know, no one's on the bench right now.  In my head I've placed them there) is nervous about something and somehow projects that anxiety into their environment, causing the leaves of the tree to turn pink? 

A little strange maybe?  Sure.  But in my world, strange is a good thing. 

Love to you all, now it's time for me to get back to work!  I'm well into my revisions and I need to keep going. 

1 comment:

  1. I love these two pictures, especially the second one - it's so ethereal and pretty-like :) I definitely like to grab images and look at them while I'm writing, especially if I'm trying to "show" a scene.

    I have my folder of images on my desktop open as we speak.

    Thanks for sharing the beauty and good luck with your edits! I tried to comment last week, but blogger ate everything I posted! *shakes fist at blogger*

    ReplyDelete