Monday, January 16, 2012

Thank You, Dr. King

My family does not look "normal".  We have one biological son and adopted our other three children from China.  Every time we go out, people stare, trying to figure out how we fit together.  That's okay.  We know we belong to each other, and we don't mind answering questions about how our family formed.  Our unusual family is normal to us, and our children know that families are formed in many different ways.  Blood isn't the only thing that ties a family together.     

Not too long ago though, my family wouldn't have been possible.  The crazy blend that is our family would not have existed.  My children would have been considered second class citizens.  It is only because great men like Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. stood up and pushed this country forward that my family exists.  It is only because Dr. King, and others like him, fought for dignity and respect for all people that three of my children are here. 

We still have a long way to go.  We still don't live in a society where people are judged by the content of their character instead of the color of their skin.  We still don't give full rights to all members of our society.  But because of Dr. King, we are closer to the dream of a society where all men are created equal than we were decades ago.  So today I say, Thank You, Dr. King.  Thank you for your sacrifice.  Thank you for believing that we could be more than we are.  Thank you for your dream. 

Thank you for helping to create a world where my family could exist. 




3 comments:

  1. Well said! I think Dr. King is even MORE amazing today. (Not that he wasn't AMAZING then.) I mean, think of everything he stood for and how relevant it still is in our lives. He was an amazing man that helped to break so many barriers. We definitely have a ways to go, but I'm so proud of people continuing to knock those walls that separate us down.

    And thank YOU for sharing your story and the lovely family photo! WHAT A BEAUTIFUL FAMILY! Happy MLK Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly what I thought when I saw this picture of your family. No way is that normal. I mean, they look so completely happy and joyous. Those folks are just way too happy and freakishly good-looking to be normal. So, tell me the truth. You called up an agency, asked for some model stands in and snapped the picture. Sorry to tell you that you didn't fool anyone. You guys are way too lovely to be normal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're both so sweet! We got lucky with that picture! The real Knipper clan is full of yelling, nose-picking, shoving kids and completely frazzled parents.

    ReplyDelete