Monday, January 23, 2012

Squash Your Internal Editor

This is one of those days I don't feel like writing.  I don't even want to think about it.  In fact, just thinking about it gives me a sick little feeling in my stomach.  It's as if a little man is sitting in there, stirring things up, whispering, "The sun's out and it's January.  January.  That's a sign.  Don't write today.  It's not going to be any good anyway, so pack it in."

The man does not confine his remarks to writing.  He also whispers about my parenting skills, my cooking skills, and anything else that happens to wander through my mind. 

Welcome to my own brand of craziness. 

This little man crops up more than I care to admit, and he's never happy.  If you're reading this blog, I suspect you have some experience with this.  You might not be a writer.  You might be a mom.  You might be a college student.  Whoever you are, I'm willing to bet you've got your own little man filling you with negativity. 

So how do you deal with such confidence-sapping thoughts?  This is how I handle it, and it's pretty simple.  Whatever he says, I do the opposite.  "Don't write today."  I write.  "Sit on the couch and watch TV because there's nothing worth doing anyway."  I get up and do something.  "You're the worst mother in the world."  I kiss my kids. 

It's not always easy.  Sometimes (like today) I have to force myself to write (or whatever).  But I always feel better after doing something.  Even if today's writing is horrible, at least I've done something, and I can be proud of that. 

Try it.  I promise you'll feel better and that negativity will slip away from you like water down a drain.

Tomorrow, I'll post an update on the first novel.  See you then!
 

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I think your brand of crazy and my brand of crazy should get together for tea! I always play the opposites game too. Like today. Writing wasn't coming easily. It was like pulling teeth and then grinding them up and eating them for lunch. (Sorry, graphic.) But I kept at it and ultimately made my word count goal. And now I'm rewarding myself with a good book and a hot cup of tea :) Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh! I know, some days it's just so hard to sit down in front of the keyboard. I'm glad to know it's not just me!

    ReplyDelete