Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The one thing you don't want to do...

My puppy Whitman after reading a particularly uninspiring bit of prose (of course, he prefers poetry to fiction).

is bore your reader.  After I finished the first draft of my novel I went back and read it, and guess what?  One of the main characters completely bored me.  At that point I had a decision to make.  Go with what I had written and try to find some other way to punch up the character or completely rework the character and thus the story. 

I chose the second option and like Frost's path less traveled, that made all the difference.  Yes, it was a lot of work, but it was worth it. 

The bottom line, if you think something in your work is boring, your readers will too.  Do the work and fix it.  It's a lot better than putting something out there that's less than your best work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment