Thursday, January 5, 2012

Hey Kids, Let's Play Name That Illness!



Today is Doctor Visit Day, so I don't have a lot (or Alot) of time, but I just had to drop and update those of you following my doctor-drama. 

Today I saw the ortho doc. Remember when I told you that this was NOT Crohn's related?  Turns out I spoke too soon.  Yes, that's right.  My shoulder bone is likely swelling due to Crohn's disease.  Fun.  The tear in my tendon, now that's from Grace.  But the swelling, that's all Crohn's.  Does this mean the disease is active again?  Don't know.  Aside from a sore shoulder, I feel pretty much the way I always do.  I see my GI (Crohn's doc) on Wednesday, so I'll ask him. 

The ortho gave me a shot it the shoulder.  Not on the shoulder, in the shoulder.  The bone people!  He slid the needle into a tiny space between my shoulder bones.  It was a Big Production.  It took four people in the room to prepare for this shot.  First betadine was slathered all over my skin and then it was sprayed with something that looked like those air cans you use to clean your computer keyboard.  Then came the needle, gently maneuvered between the shoulder bones.  When he pushed the plunger and injected the meds, there was a lot of pressure.  It felt like someone was stretching my shoulder-bones apart.  And yet, compared with most of my tests/procedures, it really wasn't that bad. 

After he pulled the needle out, the doctor looked at me and said, "You're someone whose had a lot of shots, aren't you?"  Um, yeah. 

He then gave me a scipt for pain meds, telling me I would be very sore for the next three days.  So far, it's sore, but not painfully so.   

Now I'm on my way to the hematologist to get hooked up to an IV for another round of iron (also due to Crohn's).  Fingers crossed that they get the needle in the first time.  Last time it took six sticks before the IV took. 

I know, you're all jealous...

2 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH, I'm sorry you have to go through all of this! And I'm REALLY sorry I didn't pop in yesterday to check on you :(

    I started a new project and have fallen painfully behind on being social. I hope you're doing good today, and I'm sending some healing vibes your way IMMEDIATELY! ((((HEALING VIBES)))))

    Hope you have a creative, wonderful, and pain-free weekend. Put your feet up, relax and read a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand about the new project! Good luck to you! And thanks, the shot has done wonders!

    ReplyDelete