Friday, January 6, 2012

Garden Pictures

Chrysanthemums from my fall garden.  Since my oldest daughter's Chinese name means chrysanthemum, we always make sure we have plenty of these in our garden!

In addition to writing fiction and poetry, I also write for Kentucky Gardener Magazine.  This week I finished up two articles for the April issues.  Writing for a magazine means you're always slightly out of step with the rest of the world.  You turn in your articles several months before the issue goes to print which means while there's still snow on the ground, you're writing about creating a garden of beautiful blooms. 

Since I provide the photographs for my articles, I also have to take bloom times for various plants into consideration.  All of this means I have to start eight months to a year out to write a three page feature article.  It also means I carry a camera with me almost everywhere and frequently embarrass my family by climbing over fences to snap pictures of particularly beautiful William Shakespeare 2000 roses. 

I thought I'd share some of the photos I didn't use in the article to brighten your January day.  All but two of the pictures are from my garden last year.

Hope you enjoy dreaming of warmer weather!

 One of the hanging baskets I designed and planted for my front porch.
 Morning glories, cleome (spiderplant), and purple coneflowers in my front garden.
 Violas I planted in my grandmother's teacups this past fall. 
 My front garden again.  This time showing the salvia and morning glories.  Believe it or not, in the spring, this bed is full of tulips, grape hyacinths, daffodils, and irises.
 Honeysuckle vine twining up the stone steps at the Spring Hill Cemetery.
Crape myrtle from my front yard.  I adore my crape myrtle!  I'm at the northern most part of its growing zone so it spends the most of the spring looking dead.  Then it bursts into bloom with these magnificent puffs of flowers that last most of the summer.
I took this picture when we were in Sonoma Valley at a vineyard.  I haven't been able to find out the type of flower, but it looks like an annual to me.  (Of course I could be way off!  California's growing climate isn't exactly like Kentucky's!)
I'm convinced a rose by any other name would not smell as sweet!  This is before rose rosette gutted my garden and we had to pull out all of our roses.  Even the hardy knock-out roses I have had flanking our porch.  Yes.  I cried a little.  Okay.  A lot (or alot).  


2 comments:

  1. These pictures are all beautiful! You sound JUST like me, I never leave the house without my camera and I'm like a tourist snapping pictures every place we go :) Thanks for the gorgeous flowers in January!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures!

    ReplyDelete