Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Simple White Bread


Sorry the posts aren't as regular.  Four kids at home during the holidays leaves little time for blogging (or anything else!)  But I'm thinking of you and so grateful for all of you.  I wish I could reach through the screen and hug you all. 

Today I'd like to share this recipe for simple white bread.  It's one of the easiest bread recipes I've found, and my kids love it!  They ask me to make it all the time.  (All credit goes to Great Tastes Baking.) 

Simple White Bread

Ingredients

2 1/2 teaspoons instant dried yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons salt
3 2/3 cups white bread flour

  • Sprinkle yeast and sugar over 5 oz warm water.  Stir to dissolve the sugar.  Leave alone for 10 minutes or until yeast is foamy
  • Combine the flour and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer with dough hook attachment.  Make a well in the center
  • Add another 5 oz warm water to the yeast mixture
  • Add yeast mixture to the flour (pour it into the well you made)
  • Set mixer to lowest speed and mix for 2 minutes or until dough forms
  • Increase speed to medium and knead dough for 10 minutes or until it is smooth and elastic
  • Grease a large bowl with oil (I use olive oil) and transfer dough to bowl, turning the dough to coat it in oil
  • Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let dough rise for 1 - 1 1/2 hours or until dough has doubled in size
  • Knock back dough by punching it gently.  Turn it out onto a lightly floured work surface.
  • Shape into a rounded oval and transfer to greased baking tray.
  • Cover loosely with a damp cloth and leave for 30 minutes or until doubled in size
  • Preheat oven to 375
  • Use a sharp knife and make three diagonal slashes on top of loaf
  • Bake for 40 minutes or until it sounds hollow when tapped on base
  • Transfer to wire rack to cool completely
  • Serve with butter or olive oil and balsamic vinegar
Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmmh this bread looks SUPER yummy! I'll have to make some for our Christmas eve dinner! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is the best! You'll love it! BTW, I loved your post today! I hope your mom has a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete