Friday, December 23, 2011

Peanut Butter Candy


My last gift to you is the one that means the most to me.  Every year for Christmas, my mom used to make peanut butter candy.  Christmas was her favorite time of year and she did her best to make it special for us.  Part of that was her peanut butter candy.  I've tweaked her recipe a bit, but it's still just as good as I remember.  More than lights or presents, this makes it feel like Christmas for me.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. 

Peanut Butter Candy

Ingredients

3/4 cup milk
1/3 cup peanut butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 tablespoons light Karo corn syrup
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 teaspoon salt

Prepare

  • Grease an 8x8 pan.  Set aside
  • Combine sugar, brown sugar, salt, milk, and corn syrup in a large pan
  • Stir over medium heat until it boils
  • Cover and let boil for 2-3 minutes (don't stir)
  • Uncover and continue to boil over medium heat (don't stir) until syrup dropped into cold water forms a ball (for me this normally takes 3 minutes or so)
  • Remove from heat
  • Add peanut butter and vanilla
  • Stir until thickened.
  • Spread into greased pan
  • Let cool and cut into squares when firm
Merry Christmas and may the coming year make dreams come true for all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment