Friday, April 1, 2011

On Autism



Wow, two posts in one day. The end of the world must be near!

I can't help it, I just have to share this post by Kim Lionetti from BookEnds, LLC. As you know my daughter, Grace, is on the autism spectrum. Therefore, I have a special place in my heart for other mothers of special needs kiddos. Kim's son is autistic. In honor of World Autism Awareness Day (tomorrow, April 2nd), Kim wrote this beautiful piece about what she has learned from her son. (What a Cutie! Check out his picture on the front page. Love those eyes!)

More than likely, someone in your life is autistic or has special needs. Check out Kim's post and then leave a note on the Good Things that have come into your life through that person.

I'll start. Even though Gracie is a handful (those of you who know her, know what I mean!) I smile just thinking of her. I'm more exhausted, more worried, more stressed since she came into my life. But I'm also happier. Who wouldn't be? She laughs when the wind blows in her face!! She flaps her hands and pushes up on her toes when paper crinkles. She plops into my lap and signs "music" before she nestles into my chest.

Grace changed the way I look at life. She is one of the happiest children I know. She taught me to make my own joy even when everything seems dark. Now it's your turn. How has someone with special needs touched your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment