Thursday, June 3, 2010

Shameless Self-Promotion

Obviously I'm past due for an update. Between school, the kids, and my own writing, things have been a little crazy, but never fear Dear Readers, I'm back!

First, a few updates on some of my recent publications. I know, I know, you've all been dying to read some new stories by Steph. So here's my shameless self promotion:

Short Fiction:

My story Modeling Life is in the current edition of Echo Ink Review. The journal is absolutely beautiful. Rush out and buy one, you won't be sorry.

Narrative Nonfiction:

My story Being Enough is in the current edition of The New Plains Review. Again, another gorgeous journal with some impressive work. This piece has a special place in my heart. Along with being my first published piece of nonfiction, it is about my Mom's death and my daughter Grace who is autistic. Although it might sound like some heavy stuff (and in some cases it is) I believe the ending is uplifting in a bittersweet way.

Poetry:

This spring I've been writing a lot of poetry. My first published poem, Lost, is in the Spring 2010 issue of Tipton Poetry Journal. The poem is also about my daughter Grace and autism. My poem To Mary Oliver will be in the Summer 2010 edition of the Tipton Poetry Journal.

I'll wait now while you search for your credit card and order your copies....(drumming my fingernails)....(singing to myself -- The Rainbow Connection if you're wondering)....

Ahh, you're back. Now Dear Readers, I'd like to make an programming announcement. While you were purchasing your copy of Echo Ink Review, you might have noticed my name is not just on the front cover of the journal, it's also on the Masthead. No, I did not publish my own story. Founding Editor, Don Balch, scooped up Modeling Life. The story won the journal's Writing and Editing Award, which carried a six month stint reading manuscripts for Echo Ink. After my six months was up, Don generously offered me the position of Managing Editor, which I happily accepted.

So what does all of this have to do with you? Two things. First, I will be blogging again on a more regular basis. On Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I will have a new post. (Maybe more if I can wrestle the computer from my 13 yr old.) Second, as I cull through the incoming manuscripts, I will share some editing tips. Basically, I'll let you know common mistakes I'm seeing, what I'm looking for, what I'm seeing too much of, and anything else I think will help.

This is Very Valuable Stuff. Use it carefully. Use it wisely. But most of all, just use it. Knowing what an editor is looking for will help in your own quest for publication.

Friday's post is going to be about research.

Happy Writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment