Tuesday, February 2, 2010

More News...

So, since I last wrote - November? Could it be that long? Where does the time go--oh, yeah, four kids, a husband, school, and this pesky thing called writing. I suspect we're all in the same boat.

Anyway, I have some more publication news. My short story "Nothing" will be published in the Winter edition of Melusine. Also, yesterday I got the news that a narrative nonfiction piece I wrote last semester ("Being Enough") has been accepted by New Plains Review for the Spring edition. This particular piece means a lot to me because it is about my mom and my daughter, Grace, who is autistic. I write about the impact that they each have on my life simply by being who they are.

I feel like we're all under so much pressure to do something extraordinary with our lives--you know, have a big impact, make a big splash--that we begin to feel insignificant if we haven't accomplished something BIG. My feeling is that loving those around you is BIG, and if, at the end of our lives, we are able to say that we've loved the people around us and have been loved in return that's enough.

When I think about the people in my life who have passed away, it's never the stuff they've done that I miss. It's their presence. I miss who they are, not what they did. When someone you loved has died, wouldn't you give anything just to sit next to them again? To feel their arms around you, or hear their voice again? I know I would, and I suspect it's the same for you.

I wrote "Being Enough" with this in mind. My hope for everyone reading this is that you realize you are "enough" just the way you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment