Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Return, Part II

Okay, so maybe I was a bit premature in declaring that I was back. Obviously, I'm not completely into the swing of things yet. For a full account of the past couple of weeks, jump over to Little Knippers.) But fear not, I have a plan. As long as I can wrestle my 12 year old for some computer time, I'm going to alternate days updating my blogs. So, theoretically, this blog should be updated again on Tuesday. That's the plan at least.

So back into the writing world. I've started re-writing my WIP and it's rough. Really rough. When I write the first draft, I don't know where I'm going, I wander down rabbit trails (sometimes following the big bunny who jumps out and says, "I'm late. I'm late for a very important date!" is productive, sometimes it's just weird,) I make lots and lots of mistakes. My first drafts are messy. As an example, I was reading over a chunk that I originally planned to have in the opening, and found my ending scene about 40 pages in. Good news for the ending as I hadn't figured it out yet, bad news for the giant hole I now have in the beginning.

Also, I've figured out the title. For the second book. That's right. Not the WIP, the second in the series. It's a really cool title and I love it, but what I really need is one for the FIRST book. Obviously my brain is not linear. For more evidence of that, what kind of crazy does it take to adopt a 12-yr-old AFTER you have a 6, 5, and 4 year old at home? So my oldest child is my last child. Try to wrap yourself around that one.

As I've mentioned before, writing is like quilting for me. A square here, a square there, then I piece them all together. Messy, but fun. So I'm in the piecing stage and hope to finish it by mid-May.

Until Tuesday,
Steph

2 comments:

  1. I love your comment about how writing is like quilting, adding a square here and there. I do the same thing! I jump around my novel so much, peppering in scenes and dialogues as they pop in to my head. Then I go back and try to lace the entire thing together in a way that makes sense. I love finding that other writers go through the same process as me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do too! It helps to know that I'm not the only one with such a crazy writing method. But hey, just do what works for you, right?

    ReplyDelete