Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I'm back!

So I'm home and officially writing again. YAY! That means my life is somewhat back to normal. As usual, I bought a new notebook and packed it in my carry-on luggage for the trip to China, and as usual, didn't write a word. But I'm not worried about it. If this was a vacation, I'd be concerned (I write even while on vacation - do some of my best work there) but international adoption is anything BUT a vacation, despite what many people think (and then feel compelled to tell us.) Yes, you get to travel to a different country and really soak in the culture, but you are jet lagged and have a new child who in most cases has never seen a westerner before. There's culture shock on both sides to work through and the stress of adding another member to your family. It's a rough trip. The only thing that made it easier this time, was that I've done it twice before.

Adopting special needs kids is parenting's version of extreme sports, except the ride never stops. Since coming home, I've made three trips to the doctor's with various kids, sat for the day in the emergency room at Children's Hospital, made up the Knipper version of ACSL (American/Chinese sign language), enrolled Sarah in school, and sat for hours in front of the computer with her while we tried to talk back and forth on freetranslation.com. As you can imagine, there has not been much time for literary pursuits. However, that's about to change!

Sarah starts school on Thursday (interesting since she doesn't speak English!) so I will finally have a moment to myself. Add to that I lost my job (yuck) and I will have even more free time. I know, having four kids and grad school eats up some (okay, most) of that free time, but hey, I'll take what I can get.

Anyway, the point is, I'm back and I'm writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment