Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The 20,000 word mark!

Okay, so I just hit the 20,000 (roughly 80 pages) word mark on the first draft of the new novel I just started. This is a milestone for me. I realize that other authors never struggle over words, but I am not one of those fortunate few. I struggle. I search for the right word, put it down, backspace and erase it. Look for a new, better word. Put that down, erase that...you get the picture.

At least that's what I did before starting this novel. I started writing two weeks ago (during the last week of the semester - for all of you grad students, do not start a new novel at the same time all of the work for your classes is due.) Maybe it's the subject matter, maybe I'm just growing as a writer, but for the first time, I'm pushing through and just getting that first draft finished. My goal is to write 2,000 words a day (about 8 pages) and at that rate, I'll be finished with the rough draft the last week of January. Just in time for us to leave for China! (Yes, we are literally going to China to adopt our fourth child. Three weeks after the school semester starts. I am a glutton for punishment.)

My plan is to come back, adjust to life with a new person in the family, catch up on all of the homework I've missed, and then rewrite the novel. At least that's the plan. Whether it happens or not, you'll just have to stick around to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment